Friday, July 30, 2010

Norway- Days 3 and 4

Hello! I have finally found the time and free internet to update my blog. We are staying tonight in a Best Western in Skei and we have had a wonderful evening. However, I will wait until I get caught up in my days before I go into details.

Day 3 (Monday)- The day before we had an adventure on a hike, and on this day we were able to go on my cousin Ivar's fishing boat as well as go fishing. His big boat runs about 150 days a year, which is the law. They have huge live wells, and huge nets and the engine is 700 horse power I believe. If you can see the long tube, that is where the net gets pulled into when it brings in the fish. After a tour of his big boat, we got to go on the this little boat and go fishing. It was a sad day when we didn't catch any thing though.


Top: Ivar's two boats docked in Bergen. Bottom: Me and my fishing rod.

I have to post this next picture because I can now say I have played Kubb in two countries. It was a great time, and WE WON!!!


Day 4 (Tuesday)- Our next adventure led us on a bus trip to various locations around Norway having do to with Norwegian and American history and also our family's history. Our first stop was to the Heathlands. The Heathlands was a special area because it is an unfarm-able and no good for live stock. However- the Norwegians figured it out and are able to raise sheep and cows. These ancient breeds only make up about 5% of all the livestock in Norway. We also had a delicious lunch of Wild Sheep Soup.


Top: Our local farmer Guide at the Heathlands. Bottom: One of the ancient cows that let me touch it. :)

The next stop on our trip was at a Western Norway Emigration Museum. It was interesting to hear about some of the Norwegian-American history and how the farmers would come to the midwest work and make money then return and build great houses. The museum's church was also special because it had a church that was brought over from North Dakota. There were also some buildings they had brought over from Minnesota and Iowa. It was cool that they had set this area up, but uninteresting because it was American history and like all of the historical sights around my home town. The coolest thing about this place was that the jailhouse they had was from where my Grandma grew up.



Our final stop was to our family farm. The family still owns it, and works only some of the land and rents the rest. The branch of the family that lives there was awesome, they had waffles and coffee ready to go when we arrived.


I think this about all I can handle for now, hopefully I can post once more in the morning.

Enjoy!- Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment