Of course I need a need a new phone...
Of course I need new running clothes...
Of course I need the next season of that show...
Of course...
Of course...
Of course...
Some things I have a justification for, other things I have been very creatively finding a need for them. I wish I could get back the times when I was younger and I actually had to save up for something. Right now I'm at a point where I am comfortable. I can go out to eat a few times a week, I can get new clothes when I want, I can afford to overspend at Target, I can sign up for races and I can afford to travel. I don't do anything of those things in abundance, but I have my moments. When I wasn't so comfortable I was really good about saying no to things, I need to get back there. It's a lot easier to say no when you need to prioritize where your money goes.
SO... why all of a sudden am I thinking about this AGAIN?
It always seems (for me anyways) that once it hits Black Friday, money just flows out of my wallet until Valentines Day. It' starts with the holidays. What would Christmas shopping be with out the "one for you, 3 for me" mentality? Then it moves on to the New Year. There are parties, late Christmas gifts, plans for the winter trips and whatever else. Then there is January... Post Christmas sales galore, winter clearances, gifts for your self because it's so soul-sucking-cold and depressing outside. By February, I've usually slowed my roll. I have my little freak out (wait, is that what this is?) about how much money I seem to be spending and demand that I reel it in a bit. I like keeping my Valentine's Day low-key, so usually it isn't that big of a deal.
This year Hans and I are going to Australia and my mom and I are taking a trip to NYC. After I booked our hotel room in NYC the sticker shock gave me a huge reality check. Although my parents will pay me back for the room, it still implanted in me the idea of "If you want have any money to spend while you are in NYC or Australia, you should probably think of how much you really NEED something now."
I hate the guilty feeling of "Why did I buy this/that, I could be using my money for this/that?" I think today I'm going to set some goals for myself and really think about what's important to me financially at the moment. Then, I will post them somewhere in the house where I can see them. What will my reward be at the end of it? Well, I kind of think I already have the rewards- I'm going on two amazing trips! But maybe in the meantime, I can think of few more meaningful things that can keep me in check (ie- running shoes, new backpack for Australia, white running hat).
This afternoon I'm going to start saying my new mantra:
No, you don't need ______ , you are trying to save for better things.
No comments:
Post a Comment