The Kaardal-Olson family reunion tradition changes countries every 4 years from Norway to USA to Canada. The short version of a long story of how the family got separated is this: My great grandparents were missionaries from Norway in Africa. When they had children they were sent to live with other family members. My grandpa was sent to live in Canada, while his sister Alice lived with relatives in Norway (They didn’t even meet until he was 21 and she was 16!!). My grandpa ventured into the US along the way making us the American ambassadors.
At these reunions, because there are way too many of us, we wear pins that say which branch of the family we belong to. Being the graphic designer in the family, I was conveniently called in to work on the project. It needed Norwegian and American flags, to say which branch of the family we were from and at the last minute a map of Africa needed to be included. I could kick myself for not including the year, but I can’t do much about
it now as the pins have been made already. Here is the design I came up with, I was so proud of those flags… you have no idea.

No comments:
Post a Comment