Jason and I left work early to get up to Duluth and ended up cutting it a little close so we were unable to check in to our campsite before hand. It was a beautiful day out... if you weren't running haha. It was 90 degrees and sunny and just a bear to get through. We did have wind but it was blowing harbor to lake so it wasn't much help. However, the Duluth public is always so great and people who lived out on park point set up sprinklers to run through and cheered us on. Jason was also a help and ran with me, but he should have just ran ahead because I was holding him down. I finished in 55:14 and 390 out of 447. I haven't raced since high school, and I think I may have confirmed that I am still a sprinter. I can run as fast as I can for 800 meters or 400 meters, but for 5 miles, that's going to take some more training.After our race we talked a bit with an old friend we ran into, took a dip in Lake Superior and headed back down to Hinckley to camp at St. Croix State park. We arrived after dark, had no fire wood, we both forgot flash lights, we had no fuel to light the grill and it was just a mess. We were hungry, tired and needed to get set up in the dark. Thank goodness our neighbors let us buy a bundle of wood from them or we would have been S.O.L.. We got set up, had some hot dogs and went to bed. Although, a whole different side story this night was our other neighbors and their run ins with the park rangers.
On Saturday we got up and ran to town and had breakfast and picked up the few things we forgot. Only to return back to camp just before it started to rain for the next 14 HOURS!!! Basically we spent our afternoon and evening napping, talking, crocheting, figuring out whether or not we were going to try to cook food and eventually just eating sandwiches, marshmallows, chips and drinking a beer. The funniest part of the night was we had leaking in the tent because Jason's tent couldn't handle all of the rain so we had to place 3 buckets around the tent to collect it. Eventually we got to sleep, only to be woken up by even heavier rains, and then we slept until morning.
On Sunday we had breakfast, slept a little more and then got up and putz'd around a little bit had lunch and started packing up. We went back to the cities and hung out at my uncle's house and watched Full Metal Jacket and then went to meet some friends at Psycho Suzi's. While everyone else only had to drive back to their places in the cities I had to drive all the way back to Redwood Falls, where I fell asleep around 1:30 in the morning.
It's time to get on to packing for my trip next week.... ahhh.
No comments:
Post a Comment